Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Julia Turner

Also saw Julia Turner at Velvet da Vinci, but I know I've seen her before. Her work is absolutely lovely.
I love her use of wood in her work. The wood looks really beautiful with the metal. I think she uses the materials in really complimentary ways.

I love the African blackwood that she uses in the peice above and the two below. It's so strinking with the gold in the one above.

This one above I think is really unique. Its made of wood, 18k gold, and glass head pins. I like that she carves the wood to resemble a faceted stone, but that the facets aren't pefect and the stone maintains a lot of character. The glass head pins are placed un-uniformly and reminds me of pearls, like on an older brooch where some have been lost.

Turner uses Italian marble in some of her pieces. All the ones pictured on her website are in rings and I think the seetings are unique and interesting.

No comments: