Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Blood diamonds

Really the lack of knowledge I had on this topic was appalling. I really didn't know much about this at all. So I started with the websites on the project sheet.
Everything I've learned about it has been so awful. As jewelers, we will play an interesting role. I have no idea if I'll work with stones much, but if I do, it's really important to be aware of this issue. I can't believe that people are supporting blood diamonds by working with them. I understand that b/c comsumers aren't aware or don't care, this isn't a demand to change. But I don't understnad how established people in the business could not be aware. If they would stop supporting this, it could be stopped. At some level, it needs to be stopped. And there are more consumers than jewelers, so it seems potentailly easiler to make then aware and get them to stop. But if people are aware and are buying them anyways, then I just don't know what can be done.
I really don't know what direction I'm going to take this project. I feel like there's just so much to learn about it still. I got the Hollywood movie and will watch it soon and I'm excited to see the documentary on Thursday. I really just want to find out more and wrap my head around it a little bit more.

1 comment:

Jangrrrrl said...

two comments, Lizzy.
If you can, at least watch part of the Hollywood movie with the Director's commentary. I think you will find that very interesting.

When I was sick on Wednesday, I half- watched (I hate being sick and wasting time!) a documentary that I hadn't seen before called Diamond Mines. Anf while it covers some of the same territory you will have already seen, it also talks about synthetic stones....and A diamond is forever, is largely a marketing campaign anyway.....let's convince people to buy somethings different. In the art jewelry field, a number of people have started to use industrial diamonds- Todd Reed is one of the primary people. This could lead to other discussions as well. Keep you eye open as we travel to DC and ACC.