Thursday, April 17, 2008

Secrets secrets are no fun...?

So if you haven't recently checks out Karen's blog, you should. There is a KAREN magazine. And it's amazing and I want it. "In KAREN magazine fashion is a T-shirt about the emotional world of the potato and beauty is goose pimples on the beach." Seriously. It's just ordinary things. It has a recipe for roadkill peacocks? Yes, it's just that cool.

I found it so randomly it was amazing. I was on a blog that linked to another blog. And that blog had shopping links on it. And then on one of the shopping sites off to the side there was a link that said KAREN. And I just had to know. And so I found it. And then five minutes later someone called to make a tour reservation and they lived on Karen Lane. It was just a Karen kind of day.

Anyways, I love little ordinary things and taking notice of them. Turning something uninteresting into something interesting just by noticing it. Little moments that everyone has. That no one else knows about, because why would they? We all do things or think about things and have since childhood that it doesn't even register that they actually happen or that we should take notice because they seem so normal to us. And so we don't tell anyone. It doesn't even occur to us to tell anyone. And then we have a little tiny secret. Not because it needs to be a secret or because we want it to be a secret but only because no one knows that it happened. I love little tiny secrets. When I realize a little tiny secret that I have, I try and tell someone about it. Usually the boyfriend, b/c why would anyone else care (does he?) . I just think it's interesting because as much as you might try to share your life with someone, it's impossible to fully.

So in honor of noticing the ordinary and all that is KAREN magazine (roadkill peacock dinners included), I'm going to share a little tiny secret I had yesterday. There's this part of Garden State where Natalie Portman like freaks out in one spot and does an original moment that no one else has ever done right there. I do that all the time except in much more parred down terms. I like to think about if anyone has ever stood in the exact same spot that I'm standing in. Maybe it's been similar but was it exactly the same? Or were their feet slightly closer together? And even if the feet where in the same exact spot, were their hips tilted to the side? And maybe, just maybe there was one time when there feet were in the same spot and they stood straight up, but that was the time their arms were crossed. The best part is that I'll never know.

Could this be worth exploring in a jewelry format and what would that look like are the questions I'm now asking.

3 comments:

Liz Steiner said...

you ever heard of the "Many Worlds" Theory? Where everytime you ever made a descision causes the creation of a parallel universe where you chose the opposite of what you chose in this one. It's not exactly the same, but it deals with those smae kind of "what could have happened" ideas.

Jangrrrrl said...

love it, Lizzy.
Go forth!

Lydia S. said...

Said jewelry would be a create-your-own-flipbook-on-a-chain. That, or a white necklace that comes with an ink pad and has room for the thumbprints of everyone you meet. Not that pretty? A little bizarre? Just like the tiny secrets.