Friday, May 16, 2008

Brand Yourself

This was a fun one. I think branding and marketing is so interesting, b/c we all know how there's so much marketing and commercials out there, but seriously. There are so many little things that are done through marketing that it's hard to notice them all in this consumer culture. Ads, brands, logos. There are everywhere. They're all over campus on the sidewalk in chalk. And I think it's often easy to disregard things like GO TO CAMPUSVIXEN.COM as just another college student, an innocent plug, but people really get paid to do those sorts of things.
OK back to the article. I pretty much just agree with it. But I think it's a hard thing to do, to brand yourself and figure out who/what your market is. At least it would be for me, but I don't like categorizing what kind of music I listen to--makes me a little uncomfortable? I feel like I constantly redefine what I think of myself as, and well, having to commit to a brand for me to tell people publicly on at least a semi-large scale? What if it changes really soon? I'll need to get new business cards. And clients.

1 comment:

Rebecca Dortzbach said...

branding is so interesting. It must feel pretty good to have it figured out, what you stand for, who you are, who your selling to. All of these things are great, but they will change constantly I think. Especially as artists, we are always "reinventing ourselves".:-)