Friday, May 16, 2008

Skin

Skin was an interesting read. I liked that they defined the differences between 3-d modeling software. It helped me understand Rhino better. "[Cartesian] is based on locators for every point, line, plane, or curve in the Cartesian X, Y, and Z coordinate system. In contrast, programs based on NURB [what Rhino is] splines and curves use algorithmic formulas to allow lines and surfaces to be adjusted and recalculated continuously." Helpful!

The Marcel Wanders Airborne Snotty Vases are really cool. I think I'm partially drawn to that b/c I sneeze kind of a lot. But I'm interested in the form that that would create. How interesting. And he like scanned the sneeze with a 3-d scanner, which is really neat after seeing 3-d scanners at Direct Dimensions. "Digital tools have allowed Wanders not only to work with form that is beyond the grasp of human vision, but to work with forms of an extreme complexity from the design phase to production."

I'll leave this post with a line I really enjoyed at the end of the article. "What results is a strange fetishism of the consumer object, an emphasis on the intimate interface between technology and the living body."

No comments: